Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Kashmir Wool Crewel Work Bag from Earth Divas



Kashmir Wool Crewel Work Bag

Kashmir Wool Crewel Work Bag Large Drawstring
This handmade, shoulder bag is made in Nepal of hand loomed cashmere and has a heavy duty cotton lining. It is made by a fair trade, woman owned business in Kathmandu.
The handbag measures 14 inches top to bottom, 15 inches left to right and is 5 inches wide base. The strap length is 13 inches extended to the highest point.
This handbag does not have zipper closure but a string to tie the mouth of the bag instead.
The inside of this handbag is lined with a thick, natural color cotton lining.
Weight: 400 gms approx.
$29.99
Earth Divas products are handmade, natural fiber, fair trade accessories made by women for women from around the world. We currently have items from Nepal and are adding jewelry from Columbia and hemp bags from Thailand. We hope that by next year we can offer products from several other countries.

Our natural fiber, handmade accessories from Kathmandu, Nepal are made by working women's co-ops and small woman-owned cottage industry producers. We work directly with the people that make these items. We help them source supplies like zippers, rings and buckles, and provide feedback on designs and offer suggestions to improve quality. We work directly with and pay the people that make the items, we don't work through a middleman, which is fairly common. My wife is from India, and each year for the last four years she and I have spent about a month in India, and I have spent a couple of weeks in Nepal working on new designs and trying to figure out better ways to make the core items that we will always have, like wallets, backpacks, hats and coin purses.


Fair Trade is a term that is often used and sometimes abused.  Certifications, compliance and interpretations of what is fair vary greatly from country to country, industry to industry and company to company.  We feel it is important to take a second and give you our perspective on fair trade.

At Earth Divas fair trade is fundamental to everything we do.  It is the basis of our business and our primary purpose for doing business.   Our overall goal is to keep our expenses as low as we can, produce as many items as we can, and return all profits to the artisans that make our items.   The more items we produce, the more families we employ in Nepal and India.

* above information is from the Earth Divas Website
 *************

This is a beautiful bag, I love it.
Earth Divas was kind enough to send me this beautiful bag for review.  I am overwhelmed with delight.  
Since I am a fiber artist, I appreciated the hard work and long hours it takes to complete a project like this bag.  According to the label on the bag, it takes one person at least two days to complete the crewel work, and I'm sure they mean working on it almost the entire 24 hours.
Just look at the quality


Look at the detailed crewel work on this very colorful and very useful bag, I love the wonderful texture and the floral pattern. The construction is top notch and the material is a heavier weave which should put up with a lot of use.
The size of this bag is very generous, the straps are long, 13 inches, making it comfortable on my shoulder and easy to carry. I know I will be using it for a long time, but I haven't decided if I'm going to use it to carry my knitting around or as a everyday purse.  It's so easy to open and close with the drawstrings and my stuff is safe and secure.  I also think this would make a great bag for taking to the park to carry the kids water and snacks or even to the library, lots of room for several books. 

Here's the information on the tag that was attached to the bag:
"Traditional crewel work designs have remained consistent over time.  They reflect the lush natural vegetation and fauna of the Kashmir Valley with bright, flowing leaves, vines, flowers and birds intermixed in a evolving motif."


Please go visit this wonderful site and take a look around at all the beautiful products they are offering.


Disclosure:  I was provided with a complimentary sample of this product to do a review.  My opinions are always my own, your experience or opinion may be different. Please see my full Disclosure Policy at the bottom of my blog. If I didn't like it, I would tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Search This Blog

Followers

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger